MamaDog Woofs

Saturday, February 21, 2009

The object of my desire

Behold, the object of my desire! And my inspiration, and my future. :-)

Two weeks ago my surgeon cleared me for exercise! He's very happy with the progress in my knee and said that I could start riding a bike. He doesn't want me to walk for exercise yet, so suggested a recumbent bike which will allow full rotation on the knee without any weight or stress pushing on the joint.

So, we found a bike on sale at KMart reduced to $149, down from $199, because the new model has just come out. I could not POSSIBLY be any happier with it! Pictured above is the newer one, available now at WalMart for $174. My mother bought this bike at Sears, and I'd be willing to be KMart has it as well. It's sturdy, almost totally silent (magnetic drive!), completely adjustable for different members of the family, very well-made, and exactly what I wanted. If it's possible to be overjoyed by a piece of exercise equipment, that's where I am. (laughing)
The first week I followed the surgeon's advice, strictly limiting myself to 1.5 miles once a day. I was thrilled to find that I could do the full rotation on the knee AND the pain has *Not Returned*!! For the first time in over a year, I can exercise and actually still walk!! Oh....my.....GOSH......what a gift. Finally, I'm able to do something positive toward my health without putting myself in pain.
The second week he told me I could ride 'as tolerated' but I apparently pushed it a little too far. The first day I rode 3 miles, then the second 4.5. The next day I had a terrible time at work, and the following morning I couldn't walk. It looked like I had a water balloon sitting in my knee! So, I called the doctor and went back to bed with Naproxen, ice, and pillows to get my knee up. Incredibly, by the next morning the swelling was gone leaving me only with a limp! That would have NEVER happened before the second surgery. Two days later I'm almost back to normal but resting my knee.
So the third week we'll start with a new plan. According to my doctor, and my Cabana Boy Doug, I need to limit myself and add only half a mile each week for awhile. I'm supposed to go back to riding 1.5 miles again for five days, then 2 miles for seven, then 2.5 miles...... And that is exactly what I'll do. LOL
And still, even after the little setback which kept me out of work on Thursday, I'm still encouraged and inspired by the promise held in this little bike. Better fitness, here I come!!!

3 Comments:

  • Cabana boys are verrrryyy good for inspiration!! =)
    Ride, sister, ride! I am very proud of you- as you see the world from your bike, think about Daddy Jim's world that he will take you into!
    What a super-amazing experience THAT will be! And I am SO super jealous!

    By Blogger Doc P, at 12:09 PM  

  • Awwww, thanks P. Love you. :-)

    By Blogger GreyCrazy, at 1:08 PM  

  • Cabana Boy??? How did you manage to get a cabana boy?? I want a Cabana Boy! Preferably one who brings drinks with fruit and umbrellas in them. And fans me--Yeah, that's it! Fans me and brings drinks.

    Chocolate would be nice toooooo...

    By Blogger Trailshome, at 5:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home