MamaDog Woofs

Sunday, March 08, 2009

Karma, where art thou?

Karma, as they say, is a boomerang. The idea of karma can be found in many diverse cultures throughout history- far more than I realized until I did a simple internet search on the subject. It's so diverse there isn't even 'the symbol of karma'! We all know it though. "Do unto others as you wish them to do unto you." "What goes around, comes around." "Do good deeds and you will be rewarded in kind." For the really learned types, it's the "Ethics of Reciprocity". Short version-- do bad stuff and it's gonna come back to you. You may not know how, you may not know when, but it's COMING back.

Now to tell the rest of the story, I have to back up just a bit. Several years ago my family lost our father to cancer. A member of our family (you know, those who are supposed to love and CARE for you) took advantage of the opportunity created by his confusion and problems caused by drugs toward the end of his life. The short version is that many things which should have been shared appropriately were not. It's not the money. It's that this person could have taken that chance to do the right thing and formed a deeper relationship with us as her last surviving close relatives. Instead she threw us to the wolves. I have made a personal choice in my life to never, ever, speak her name again. She is officially known as "that person formed known as Aunt." I know it doesn't hurt her a bit, but it that's MY choice.

This morning my mother called with a story to read out of the paper. Since she knows I refuse to credit her with a name, she substituted the word "Bump" trying to help me laugh about what was happening.

Bump was feeling poorly and stopped at a local store on the way home to buy a paper. At the spur of the moment Bump purchased a large scratch-off lottery ticket and won. Bump won ALOT of money. Big five-figures type of money. Bump won the largest amount ever won in our county. Bump is now famous, appearing on papers and in the news for winning this really significant amount of money.

After proclaiming loudly that God has ** NO ** sense of humor, I began to see exactly the opposite. OH yes He does. He knows ALL about Karma. Like a pendulum, this second large dose of money is going to come back like a boomerang, because Karma won't be denied. No matter which of the world views you choose which embrace Karma, no matter this life or next, Karma is out there waiting. I'm glad I won't be standing next to her when it comes back her way....taps her on the shoulder....smiles...and says "hey, remember MEEEE?"

4 Comments:

  • Bump may overindulge in rich foods now and get a nasty dose of gout.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:10 PM  

  • Ohh, my Jimmy has gout- and that ain't nutin to play with, it sure is incapacitating!

    As I sit and remember how things went down, I didn't ever think it could get worse- until now. I just shake my head and think how unfair can things get. You're right, Kim, it wasn't about the money, it was about doing what is right for your only blood-relatives in this world, which is what meant the most to dad. Sometimes I sit back and say- I never have luck like that (and I won't because I don't buy lottery tickets LOL) but she shouldn't either.
    I hate to wish ill upon someone, but it just ain't right- it just ain't right... and how come it happened to her?
    I guess I will always wonder if Karma really does exist until I hear about it kicking out her knees from behind (sooner rather than later).

    By Blogger Doc P, at 3:04 PM  

  • Karma is a Bitch, and I'm glad she's on our side.

    Don't worry, it's coming sooner or later. Until then we just make sure WE spend our lives spreading Good Karma.

    By Blogger GreyCrazy, at 3:36 PM  

  • Think Bump is gonna get "bumped" from behind with Karma? Real Hard?

    By Blogger Trailshome, at 8:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home