MamaDog Woofs

Monday, April 19, 2010

A rare day for a rare dog

Happy 14th Birthday to my girl Florida!

I hate to admit it, but I'm the rare greyhound owner that usually doesn't do anything to recognize my dogs' birthdays. Unfortunately, watching your dogs grow old is always a sad time, and birthdays have always been a reminder to me of loss. I know that's backwards. I should be celebrating each year we've had together, but...well.....it's hard to explain other than it became a thing of personal caution for us. Like, something you were afraid to notice for fear Mother Nature would notice and bring down Old Age on our babies.

Today, however, I'm celebrating the life of Florida who has been given 14 grand, glorious years. The picture at right was taken by my friend Joanne Johnson, a wonderful photographer who really understands the bond we have with our greyhounds. She captured this look of pure joy on her face just a week ago, just shy of this monumental birthday, running in our new backyard. It's a precious gift.

Years ago Florida saved me. Today, she's once again taught me something like she seems to do so often. Birthdays are for celebrating and I had dared to hope for a full year that we would make this one. We did, together, and her joy fills me too. She is perhaps the wisest dog I've ever known and more bonded to my heart than even my beloved Angel was. Some day, probably soon, I will mourn her passing. For today, I celebrate her greyhound soul!

2 Comments:

  • She's lovely! You know, you've given me something to ponder about birthdays... :o)

    By Blogger Ari C'rona, at 9:12 PM  

  • I didn't know that you and Florida have a different, stronger, bond than you and Angel...
    Happy Birthday Florida girl...you are very special and very very loved.

    By Blogger Doc P, at 10:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home