MamaDog Woofs

Monday, October 31, 2005

To live what I preach





"People have forgotten this truth," said the fox, "but you must not forget it. We are responsible, forever, for what we have tamed."

On Saturday, an era of my life ended right there in my lap as I helped Angel cross the Bridge. He followed his two sisters, Sunshine and Stubby, and their housemate Dolly who were surely there waiting for him already. I was responsible for him until the very ending moment in his life, and will love him far beyond that. I believe that is my responsibility, to love forever what I have tamed, but that doesn't make the reality any easier. In fact, it just SUCKS. But that's what I promised him the day he chose me almost 12 years ago and I have no doubts in my heart that we did the right thing at the right time.

Angel had been fading for awhile and I knew that moment was coming. I prepared myself for it, and spent the drive to our vet preparing us for it again. We took off his collars and brushed him all the way there. I fed him Lisa's liver treats until he honestly, finally, turned his nose up and told me he was full. I talked to him one last time, letting him hear his momma's voice tell him all the important things from this year and for the next-- what to tell the girls when he got there, and what I always wanted him to remember.

I also reminded him that when he reached the Bridge, he would be famous as the Big Dog's Dog. He was the inspiration for Greyhound Crossroads-- the dog that bonded with me so strongly that I grew to know I wanted other people to have that joy as well. All of the dogs we have had the priviledge of knowing in GC are there because of his love for me. I have never been loved stronger by a stronger heart than Angel. He would have jumped to the moon and back for me if I could just explain what I wanted.

The end of an era has come, and all the original dogs are gone now. CPF Carla was our Sunshine-- the little happy, vivacious, wiggle-butt girl who became the logo seen on the top of the GC webpage. CPF Sissy Boo was Stubby-- the shy girl who became my husband's baby heart and soul. Behn's Dolly was our precious Dolly-Girl, the first foster ever to reach GC and the one only who stayed in 10 years of fosters that followed her. And now, CPF Little B-- my handsome, incredible heart-dog Angel. We adopted the three littermates on the same day and our lives changed forever.

I won't say goodbye to these priceless souls because I believe I'll see them again. They're running free from pain now and will greet every GC dog that reaches the Bridge before me. But someday, sweethearts, we'll have another hug and a good welcome cry together.

Much love,

Momma

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home