MamaDog Woofs

Friday, October 28, 2005

I know where my towel is. . .

Image hosted by Photobucket.com


I woke up about 2am last night, and almost picked up the phone. I had the sudden urge to ask someone "Do Americans have too much personal freedom?!?" (Trust me, the person to whom this is directed is laughing right now....)

If we're very lucky, a few friends come into our young lives that become part of who we are. Through thick and thin, through all the years and the moves and trials, those friends remain. If we're VERY lucky there are one or two that last a lifetime.

I have one of those gifts in my life. She taught me to always know where my towel is, and which food is the most non-food food in existence. She once offered to teach me how to make a website, only to insist that I learn it "In Notepad the Right Way!" (As much as I hated to admit it, she was absolutely right.) After all these years I still know what T.A.R.D.I.S. means and can recognize the appropriate key on sight, but sadly haven't had any Deadly Jelly Babies in a long time. Although I didn't share her desire to see C'pnKirk die a horrible slow, over-played death, I still share her love of all campy sci-fi shows to this day. If you want, I can tell you a story of "27 8x10 color photographs with circles and arrows on the back of each one ...." And goodness.....how many friends would let the gang shown above 'kill' you for a college assignment??

I have one of those gifts in my life. She has listened to more over the years than anyone has a need to. She has remembered to ask about Paula in vet school EVERY TIME we talk....and always remembers to call and talk when my life runs it's crazy spinning out-of-control thing. She hurt for me when my dogs died, even though she was halfway across the country. She was the first one I called when Robert proposed because I was NOT getting married without her standing next to me. (Yeah, even though that meant putting on a dress, and a shiny one at that!) We've made it through the deaths of our fathers, unemployment, car crashes, and all manner of unpleasantness... and through all of these long years living so far away, she still calls us Bestest Buddies.

This blog was started last week with a bit of an ulterior motive. Just like my first website, I wanted the first post of real substance to be a birthday wish to this special person. She didn't want everyone on her job to know it's her birthday, so I thoughtfully cancelled the singing telegram (made him put his clothes back on, no less!), the skywriter (I kept adding too many words anyway!), the balloons, flowers, chocolate, personalized birthday cake, and case of honorary sugary cereal.

Happy Birthday Kristen. You will forever be a part of me, and you will forever have my heart.

Much love, hugs, and a few pieces of Dove Dark Chocolate,

Kimmee

1 Comments:

  • Kristen...come to MEeeee...
    ervetchick.blogspot.com
    I have something to tell you!
    paula

    By Blogger Doc P, at 3:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home